Thursday, September 16, 2010

Fillin' Up the Bucket

The other day I was driving with all 3 of my kiddos and my sister's little guy Parker in the car. It was Caleb's birthday and we had just had a great time playing at the park and eating spudnuts.

I said that I might mow the front lawn while the boys played and Kearyn napped.

And then this (over Kearyn's baby babble and Drayson & Parker's unintelligible 2 year old conversation):

Caleb said "I think Daddy would be happy if you mowed the lawn because then he wouldn't have to do it and he could rest. You would be filling up his bucket."

Say again?

"That's what my teacher calls it. When you do something nice for someone it fills up their bucket."

I smiled the goofiest grin while happy tears dripped down my cheeks.

How did I get so lucky to have this sweet little guy in my life?

And the greatest part. He is learning. And from a great teacher at that. I can't wait to see what the rest of the school year brings.

And in the meantime? I'll try to remember and fill up a few more buckets. Cause it really does feel good.

1 comment:

Julie said...

she must of read The Five Love Languages. Great book and highly recommend reading it. It helps out in every relationship you can have. They even have a children's one too but it was almost the same as the 5 love languages. I tell Johnny he fills my bucket too. So cute that Caleb said that. What a good natured man you have.