Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Tale of One Boy's Naptime

Drayson is an amazing sleeper.
Always has been (and here's me knocking on wood that he always will be).
He sleeps in a cage (well not really--but he is still in his crib...easier to keep the animals contained that way you know).
So everyday after we put Caleb on the bus we start to prepare for the nap. I say as we are walking back to the house: "When we get home it's gonna be naptime"
He says: "Ohhh. Tuddle? (cuddle)"
Me: "For a little while"
Then I "tuddle" him which consists of him snuggling up on my lap and me humming to him.

Me: "Ready?"
Him: "Uh huh"
I carry him to his room. He shuts off his light.
Then he says: "Mr. Loud on" (which really sounds more like "missher" Loud)

Mr. Loud is the sound spa/white noise machine. Do you have one of these? I love ours. We never had one with Caleb, but as soon as we had Drays we decided to get one because well, Caleb was a noisy 4 year old and we lived in a small house. We got a second one for Kearyn's nursery when she was born because well, Caleb + Drayson was really noisy and we still live in the same small house.
For the record, Drayson came up with this name all on his own. And it was actually Chip (who is especially gifted in decoding baby/toddler speak) that figured out what he was saying.

So after he turns Missher Loud on. He lays his 'lovie' on his pillow and then lays his head on top of Lovie. I put his blanket on him and he folds his hands so we can pray. It sounds a little like this.

Me: Dear Jesus/Him: Dear Jeshush
Me: Thank You for our day/Him: Day
Me: Thank You for our family/Him: Fam-ly
Me: Thank You for our food/Him: Food
Me: Let Drayson take a good nap/Him: Good Nap
Me: We love you Jesus/Him: Love you Jeshush
And everyone said: AMEN!

He removes Lovie from behind his head so that he can 'tuddle' him. Drays says "Nighty-night" in his cutest sing-songiest way. And then I repeat. He says "LOVE YOU!' all loud like. And I repeat of course.

I walk out & shut the door. And for the next two 1/2 hours I only have one baby to tend to. And if Kearyn's being an especially good girl, she takes her nap at the same time. And then I get to be....
ahhh, blissfully by myself.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Yes, there is nothing quite like a quiet house and sleeping kids. Drayson is such a little cutie. I think we need to a get a Mr. Loud! So funny.

Kyle said...

I hope you realize how lucky you are. Naptimes at my house are like a warzone and a constant battle.

Very cute!