Monday, November 8, 2010

It's a Wrap

Well we lost our Regional playoff game on Saturday. So soccer season has come to an end. Always bittersweet for me. Hard to lose, hard to think of all the "what ifs," hard to have the craziness of 20+ high school gals cut from my everyday happenings (some easier than others mind you).
But I am so looking forward to getting back into my regular (albeit wild) family first groove. Where Drayson doesn't have to get woken up from nap time early so that we can make a fast dash down to swoop in and pluck Caleb up from school (when all he really wants to do is ride the bus home with his friends), drop them with quick kisses at whomever is watching them that day (insert shout-out here to my mama, sis & Aunt Naomi). No more rushed dinners, or missing out on watching Caleb play hockey, or staying up past my bedtime so Chip and I can actually share 2 minutes of the day with each other.
Looking at the pros vs. cons you may wonder why I even choose to do it. And I'll admit sometimes I wonder the same things. Some days just plain feel 'not worth it.' But I once heard you aren't supposed to quit on a bad day. One of the main reasons is that although we won a State Championship when I played high school soccer, the day to day memories of my high school days were not the greatest. Let's just say Coach applied the negativity with a heavy hand. I would always say to myself that if I got the chance I would do things differently. Don't get me wrong, I believe kids need to learn hard work, responsibility and of course be held to their highest potential. I also believe that kids learn better when they respect their elders and do not just fear them. That there needs to be fun mixed in with the work. Think if you just slaved away at your awful job for your entire life and never got a vacation (even a small one). Sounds pretty brutal to me. Besides that, I enjoy spending time with the girls and hoping that I am having some sort of positive impact on their lives. And I am learning--Lord, am I learning. And learning and growing and being stretched is good for me (even when it feels bad). The little bit of money doesn't hurt either (because well all know teachers don't rake it in). The money Chip and I both earn from coaching during the year is our 'extra money.' Which means that we don't need it to cover our daily bills, but it goes to things like vacations and Christmas and big ticket items, etc.
But I am more happy than sad right now. Excited for the extra time we have for the next couple months before spring season hits and boy's soccer season gets here and I become a "soccer widow." And this weekend also happened to be Chip's final 'long' weekend before he completes his Master's program. He only has a single Friday & Saturday left. And then a couple weekends in the spring to complete his Admin certificate. We are so excited and I am so proud of the hard work he has put in. Those long weekends (all night Friday and all day Saturday & Sunday) were terrible on all of us.
Looking forward to getting started on my Christmas planning/shopping/crafting (possibly finish some of my half completed projects). Getting my hair cut and colored (way way overdue...like the perma-pony is the only look I've been sporting for weeks now).
And what you ask, did Drayson do to commemorate the occasion? Well he had explosive diarrhea all day yesterday (remember that he has only been potty-trained for 2 weeks so that was fun). Kearyn pooped basically every diaper. I ran to the store to stock up on 'sick' reserves, extra Desitin, and prayed my heart out that no one else would fall victim. I tried to push away the nightmares of all 5 us being up all night long with "the nasty," as I ferociously cleaned and did laundry and put the house back in order last night. And it looks like my prayers were answered, because at no point in the night was I awoken by either of the small ones smeared in poop. Sometimes I think it's better to expect the worse, because then it's easier to enjoy the small victories (kind of like when I get in line at Costco and do mental math and always round-up in my head, so that when the checker gives me the real total I feel like I saved money instead of spent a small fortune).
I think it sounds like a perfect day to stay snuggled up in our comfys. And if I get really inspired I may just whip out the hot glue gun and the fabric scrap bag and see what I come up with.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Glad you aren't feeling too bummed out today. It would have been exciting to see your team keep going, but I can also understand your relief in just getting to be mom again and not rushing around to do everything. I bet those kids are welcoming their extra mom time! And I like what you said aboue being a good coach. The players always do better when they have a coach they WANT to win for. :)

Maggie May said...

hi there, just dropping in to say i love your daughter's name, and your kids photos are so sweet!