Friday, April 2, 2010

36 Week Check-up Status: BORING.


Today was the big 36 week check. Ya, you know it. Checkin the business to see if there is anything happening. Oh and also the lovely Group B Strep test (fun times). Conclusion. Nada. Maybe 1cm (but I think Dr. M was just saying that to make me feel better). We listened to the heart beat and he pushed around and measured my stomach and decided I was "boring."

But, I'm seriously OK with this.

Here's why: the first time around with Caleb Doc said: "2 1/2cm & 50% effaced, if you don't have your carseat in the car and your bag packed, I'd get it done this weekend." I walked around convinced I would deliver at any moment (maybe Chipper's birthday?..Sep 5th?). No go, Cdog didn't come until the 15th (and that was after they had broken my water).

This last time with Drayson: almost 3cm & 70% effaced (I know impressive stats), and his head was totally engaged (yep that was comfortable). And that is the way he would stay for FOUR freaking weeks until they finally took pity on me and induced me just in time for me to walk down the aisle in Kynda's wedding (4 days post partum--I do not recommend this--though the vicodin was heavenly).

So really my 36 week check is not any sort of indication on how things will progress. I will more than likely carry this babe full term. This time though, I'm not going to go in until it's the real deal people. None of this: "well those might be contractions" crap. I want to take my time at home. I don't need to show up there with a freakin' half smile on my face and declare that "it's time!" Just so they can show me to the little exam room, check me a couple times, send me around that stupid circular hallways on "walks" like I'm at an old folks home and feed me ice chips (though who doesn't love that hospital terd ice?). When all this was relayed with some gusto to Dr. M. last week, even he was looking a little shocked and concerned. I told him "don't worry, I'm not gonna let it get to the point where Chip needs to deliver me on the I-182 bridge or anything."

And I'm not. I'm just saying. Did I also mention that I may or may not be doing this labor thing sans drugs? It's on the table for consideration. I tried this with Caleb and made it 8 hrs in. But then I stalled out at 5cm and I was super tired. I was afraid that if I didn't start making progress I wouldn't have any energy left to push. And I'd rather an epidural than a C section for sure. With Drays I was on pitocin and beggin' for the epi like an hour in. But I really feel like I could do this if everything went smoothly.

When I told Chip: he was all for it and ready to support my decision either way (because he is good like that). My sister took some convincing, but now says she is on board. My mother thinks I'm slightly off my rocker ("and if epidurals had been so readily available she would have gladly taken one both times"). But I am always up for a challenge. On the way to the hospital to have Caleb I might have even said "hey hon, I'm gonna kick the crap out of labor."

Bottom line: we shall see.
*****************************************************************

Drays demanding the raisins out of my Raisin Bran
(this pic has absolutely nothing to do with this post, except for I love those chubby fingers and that sweet smile}

4 comments:

Gosfam said...

Sara you can do it with no drugs, if you put your mind to it. I did it both times, best thing ever, and no needles :) Plus for me recovering was so QUICK!! I went grocery shopping my day home from the hospital with Peyton.

I will get off my soapbox now--I know it isn't for everyon :)
Anyways I am so excited for you and getting closer. Love this post. You make me laugh.

Sarah said...

Don't you get tired of everyone telling you to just hang in there? Especially when you get so close that your baby literally is almost falling out when you walk. They should be telling it to the baby instead. I always had the attitude that even when it was hard, the longer they stay inside the healthier they will be. Not much to soothe the soul when you are feeling so lousy, but it is a good thought. You are doing great though! I don't know what to tell you about using an epidural or not. The one time I didn't get to have one was probably when I needed it the most and I would not want to repeat that experience. BUT - if you are looking at a quicker and shorter labor and are already progressing quickly it's more doable. It's always worth a try. If I would have had any babies that were smaller than a watermelon I might have considered giving it a go. :) You could do it though, Chip would be a good coach.

Julie said...

you make me laugh! I too think you are off your rocker but good luck to ya! If I don't nee do to feel it then I don't want to. :) I love the bathroom, I don't know what it looked like before but I love the green accents. Love the little bird!

Kyle said...

With my first birth, I progressed so fast that I missed the opportunity where the epidural would work and just had to deal with it. The nurse tried to frame it in a positive light – “you are so lucky, your labor is going so fast!” as she whispers while not making eye contact “but the epidural won’t work at this point.” I was dumbfounded- this was not part of my birthing plan.

Of course, I survived; it wasn’t that bad; you forget the pain once you see your baby; womens' bodies were made to have babies; women have been doing it since the beginning of time without drugs; blah; blah; blah…

After having my second child (I was induced with this one so I made sure to get the epidural before the pain even started) - I am now a firm believer that the epidural is one of medicine's best inventions. Yeah sure, going without drugs gives bragging rights- the ability to say that you had a baby sans drugs. Maybe the doctor will even give you a gold star. But I say, screw the gold star, get the epidural. The technology is available; why not take advantage of it.

On a more serious note, I am so excited for you and your family with your daughter being so close. Good luck with everything- with whatever you plan you choose.

Krista