Friday, May 28, 2010

Freedom

Today I drove my car for the very first time since Kearyn was born.
Crazy right?. When was the last time I went 4 weeks without driving? Before I had my license? Maybe when I got that really good parking spot in the U-district when I was going to school in Seattle? They tell you to wait 2 weeks to drive after a C-section. My friend told me her Doc told her she should wait until she was completely sure she could slam on her brakes hard!

One of the other issues involved in the whole leaving the house business is that I can't go alone. I've needed constant help, because I wasn't cleared to pick up anything heavier than basically Kearyn (~10lbs). So no baby in the carrier, no stroller, you get the idea. Which means I had to have a Game Plan as to how this morning would work out. Kassie came over to pick up the boys. I got her to put Kearyn and her carrier and also the stroller into the car for me.

Then we hit the road. I remember thinking two things. 1. Yay. I still remember how to drive. and 2. Wow. I really love my car. (real deep I know).

This is where it got tricky. How was I going to get Kearyn, not to mention the stroller out of the car? How would I get them back in? So get this. My mom met me in the parking lot of the doctor's office. Got out the stroller, popped Kearyn's carrier in for me. And then off Kearyn and I went. "Call me after your appointment so I can come back and help you get into the car" were my mom's parting words. (aren't moms great?) But really? How pathetic is that? "help you into the car?" I was officially lame.

We went into the office, where the Dr. told me I was healing well, etc, etc. and everyone told me how adorable my baby was (well Duh!). He tells me I can start working back towards normal daily activities.
Then he cleared me to pick up Kearyn + infant carrier!!

Let me tell you. I strutted out of that office with my head held high. I wheeled my precious cargo out to the car and loaded her and the stroller up all by myself. Like a Big. Girl. (like I might just have 3 children, 1 husband, 2 dogs & 1 home relying on me). Then we drove by the shop to surprise my mom. She then snuggled Kearyn while I hopped next door to the book store to pick up a book. I left with not just the novel I've been wanting to read (The Forgotten Garden, Kate Morton), but also The 5 Love Languages, by Gary Chapman (because I've been wanting to do something more meaningful than watch DVR'd episodes of Castle with my hubby at night and what better time than now to get reconnected emotionally). The other book: Parenting Isn't For Cowards, by Dr. James Dobson (because Caleb is driving me up a wall right now, and I will read or do anything that might help our "hassled" situation here at the house).

Then I picked myself up a chocolate glazed Spudnut. Swung by and picked up Kearyn and then headed over to Gma Janes to pick up my boys. Came home, unloaded them all by myself. But the 2 little lovies down for naps and sent Caleb out to play.

It's amazing what a little fresh air & freedom can do.

ps> this could be the most random post I've ever written. I'm not entirely sure what prompted me to do it. But I'm not deleting it now. So if you're still reading, please don't leave me & my blog forever, I promise I will come up with something more exciting for next time.

pps> I blame the hormones.

3 comments:

Gosfam said...

Not that random. Just telling about your life and I like it :) YAY for you and driving, and lifting, and on your way to YOU again!! Let me know about all of your books--I am thoroughly interested in all of them. Happy Reading!! and so jealous over the Spudnut :)

Julie said...

:) Can't get rid of me that easily!

Carly said...

Good for you that you've been taking it easy. I wasn't so smart and paid the consequences after my c-sections.
I've been thinking about you, and love getting updates from Lyssa.