Saturday, May 8, 2010

Kearyn's Birth Story: Part 2

After that first cry, the next hour was lost for me. I guess they got me stitched up and back together. Turns out I lost a fair amount of blood. And besides having to recover from major abdominal surgery I would be fighting anemia and all its fun side affects (dizziness, headaches, tiredness). Yuck. While I was out, Kearyn was checked out, OKed and passed off to Chip who loved on her until I rejoined the real world. She "milked me" immediately (Chip's words) and hasn't seemed to stop since.

For the first 24 hours or so I was thinking I didn't have it so bad. That's what happens when you are immobile and still being heavily medicated. As soon as they had me get out of bed for the first time, I was this close to begging the nurse to reinsert my catheter and let me be for the next 2 weeks. The pain. It was hell. The anemia was dragging me down even more. I started to freak out. How would I be well enough to go home and take care of my children?.

We finally left the hospital Saturday morning. I was feeling slightly better by this point. But no less afraid of what the next several weeks held for me. I cannot tell you how blessed I am to have my family close. During the times Chip couldn't be at the house, either my mom or my sister stayed with me. Chip's sister Kassie took both boys during the days. People brought food. I basically fed Kearyn, fed myself, drank protein shakes, and napped. Doesn't sound so hard, but I was exhausted.

Now in the weeks leading up to me being the mother of 3 children, I had thought about/stressed a lot of things. Never did I consider not being able to pick up my sweet Drayson for 6 long weeks. That means, not putting him in/taking him out of his crib (you should see what I've jury rigged up in that department...it involves a step stool and a bar stool). I also did not consider not being able to drive myself (but now I realize I don't really want to leave the house by myself with these 3 crazies yet anyways). Also not considered: scooting around like a 95 year old lady with arthritis, not being able to cough/sneeze without severe pain, not being able to do the most lame of chores,...and the list goes on.

I am not the only one adjusting. Chip has taken on my household duties as well as his own. He has done at least twice as many Kearyn and Drayson diapers in the past week. He "shuttles" the baby back and forth to me in the middle of the night for feedings. Both boys are in love with their sister. The biggest surprise is how much Drays loves his sister. Like nearing obsession. He wants to hold her and kiss her all.the.time. He hasn't shown any sort of jealousy...yet. Here's hoping this warm and fuzzy feeling stays forever (not holding my breath). He is sad that I can't hold him, the other morning he cried and I cried. It was so very sad. But for the most part we are good.

Long story short, this is definitely not how I imagined all of this going. And I would be lying if I didn't say I was a little bitter over it. But I will be forever thankful for modern medicine. For our beautiful and healthy daughter. For this life God has blessed me with (the easy and the hard). I feel ready to move into a new chapter in life. One where I am done bearing children and I just get to concentrate on rearing them. Our family feels complete. And I am happy.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Loved reading about Kearyn's birth! So glad you recorded it so you could remember all of the little deatails. (even the bad ones) It is seriously heroic what women can do to bring their children into this world and you should be proud of yourself for doing it three times! I told Riley he has got to get home early sometime this week so I can come see you and baby girl.

Gosfam said...

Quite the story--I have been wondering what happened and why you had to have a c-section. Way to be a fighter and get through it all. After all it is such a GREAT reward :)