Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Our Little Outdoorsman

Disclaimer: if you do not approve of hunting and/or the killing of small animals you may not want to continue reading.

Consider yourself warned.

This summer before we headed off on our annual summer cabin trip, Chip took Caleb off on a "man errand." The sole reason for this errand was to purchase Caleb his very first BB gun. Now, while we are not members of the NRA, Chip is a recreational hunter when he has the time (just in case you were wondering we also eat red meat, support our troops, sing along with the Star Spangled Banner and vote conservative {gasp}).

So they came home with big grins and a Daisy Red Rider.
And so "hunting" was all that was talked about on the 4+ hour trip up to the mountains.

As soon as we were out of the car Caleb announced that they were going "hunting for squirrels."
I looked at Chip, he reassured me there was nothing to worry about. Saying things like "its a boy thing" and "he won't be able to hit a squirrel anyways."

Except for we obviously forgot that our 5 year old has exceptional hand-eye coordination.

And so went down the first poor fuzzy rodent (which apparently had to be "put out of its misery" by Chip).

Don't worry, his aim got better after that...and the last 3 kills were clean.


{caleb and uncle trav showing off good form}

I am only semi sorry if this story disturbed you. And while I don't really love hunting myself. I am plenty proud of how proud Caleb was of himself. I'm proud that I have a husband who takes the time to take our kids on "special errands." And looks forward to teaching our son proper gun control (among many other life skills).

And I guess if you still don't like it. Well you can come over and we can discuss it further.
But remember, we have guns :)

1 comment:

Tara said...

I LOVE this post Sara! Your kids are so cute. It will be a fun day when Jason can teach Eva about shooting guns. I think we will have to find her a pink BB gun.
:)