Sunday, October 5, 2008

Marriage is Hard Work....but SO worth it!

*I feel the need to preface this entry with this tidbit of information: Part I was written 3 days ago and I was debating on whether to post it or not. Part II is what happened last night. Which pretty much told me...you gotta post all of it.

Part I
Ok, something has been on my heart for awhile now....MARRIAGE IS HARD WORK! Now, I know this is not breaking news, but it has never struck me with such clarity as it has for these past couple of weeks. It takes time, energy, patience and most of all commitment (throw in a couple of kids and it takes twice that)! On a day to day basis it is not the "butterflies in your stomach feeling" like when you first started dating--it is jobs & house payments & laundry. And that doesn't have to be a bad thing. Because when your family has a "good day" it is SO rewarding. I want to encourage everyone this week to do something to make your marriage special. Because even more important than ourselves are our children and they not only deserve, but depend on us to show them what a good God-given marriage looks like! People, I beg you...Fight the Good Fight. It is not in vain!

Part II
On Tuesday Chip said to me...let's go to visit my mom (jane) on Saturday night, because Larry is out of town, etc. "Sure" I say. So yesterday we pack up the kids (Chip even packed the diaper bag and added bottles and formula...which looking back I did find kind of odd...because I am almost exclusively nursing). Chip wants to pick up a Happy Meal for Caleb before we get to Jane and Larry's, and I also thought this was strange, because I was under the impression we were having dinner--and mama was HUNGRY! Well, we get there and Chip drops down all the kids stuff, gives his mom the rundown of Drayson's schedule and turns to me and says "WE'RE GOING ON A DATE"....huh? Jane starts smiling and Chip is grinning like a goofball! It turns out he had this all planned for the last 5 days. We went out to dinner and to the movies (he even picked out a girly movie that I had been saying I might want to see...I guess he DOES listen)! Now this might not seem all that extravagant to you single or married withOUT children types, but to a gal who has a 3 month old and has not been on a date since he was born...it was the BEST!

Now, do you see why last night was so awesomely ironic! Maybe Chip and I are really that in tune with each other, that he knew just what our marriage and I needed...or maybe God is just really that great! What a difference one simple night can bring....a renewed attitude towards my husband and my children....even life in general. And when my kids are "giving me the business" this coming week (which I know they undoubtedly will), I'm gonna look back and grab some of this goodness. I can't say it enough--MY MAN IS THE GREATEST (and I hope that each and everyone of you feels this exact way about your spouse too)! I am praying this week for all of you and your marriages...because last night proved it is not in vain! And this morning I still have that "butterflies in my stomach" feeling!!

2 comments:

Lyssa said...

Sara, that is an awesome post and very very true. It is important that we remove ourselves from the "butterfly-free" moments and remember that we are in this for a bigger reason. That, and Chip is an awesome hubby - not only a date just you two but a suprise date on top of it, how fun!

Sarah said...

This is something I really needed to read this morning. Sometimes I feel like I never even get to see Riley during the week and you just go through your routine of cleaning house, watching kids, cooking, repeat.....

I'm so glad Chip suprised you and took you out. That sounds like fun and he is a great guy.